Friday 2 June 2017

Older Romance Heroines with Justine Lewis


Older romance heroines…
“Are they too old or too serious to be shagged senseless by a debaucherous Duke or a sexy billionaire or a ruggedly ripped farmer?” Woah, the hot questions need answers.

Hello Friends,

This week it’s my pleasure to welcome Australian romance author, Justine Lewis back to the blogger site. Justine joins us today with a guest post about older heroines and why she thinks they aren’t past their use by date in romance stories.

Guest Blog with Justine
All romance readers and writers love a hero, but we don’t seem to talk as much about heroines. I’ve even heard a few people say they only read romances because of the heroes and that they don’t care at all about the heroines. For me, one of the main attractions of romances is that they are about women (with the obvious exception of male/male, but you know what I mean). In romance novels women are usually the main characters, the protagonists. And in a world where men still dominate almost all aspects of public life, this is a big reason to love romance.

So I want to talk about heroines for a change. In particular, why do the majority of romances feature younger heroines? We may have moved on from virginal twenty year olds to women in their late twenties … early thirties … but we haven’t moved much further than that.

I’ve read only handful of books featuring heroines over forty over the years, including Amy Andrews’ lovely Ruby-winning A Doctor, A Nurse, A Christmas Baby and Sandra Antonelli’s Driving in Neutral. But these are the only two that instantly spring to mind (though admittedly my memory is not as reliable as it once was). I haven’t sought books with older heroines out, but they haven’t overwhelmed my Kindle either.

And I want to know why.


source:fotofolia.com

Is it that there isn’t a readership? I doubt it. If anything, older heroines should be more interesting. Older women have more memories, both to comfort and haunt them. That should make for deeper, more complex conflicts. Maybe it’s because we have all been younger women and can all relate to someone who still has their entire life ahead of them and hasn’t made all those mistakes we’ve made? Romance is about escape after all.

Or maybe once the heroine is over a certain age a book tends to be classified as women’s fiction because past a certain point women are considered too old or too serious to be shagged senseless by a debaucherous Duke or a sexy billionaire or a ruggedly ripped farmer. I hope I’m never too old for any of those things.

I think the age from thirty-five onwards is particularly interesting. This is often a time of change, a time when so many women face their last chance to have a family (or add to the one they may have). Aren’t the stakes higher? The rewards so much sweeter? A woman in her later forties probably no longer has the endless beat of the ticking clock in her head, but she is likely to have a much more interesting backstory than the twenty-year-old virgin. And she probably still wants, consciously or not, love and great sex. Being past child-bearing age does change some things, but not everything. It is perfectly possible to have a full and happy life without children (some would say it’s the only way!) I have a theory that women make better choices about men when the possibility of having children is not on the cards anyway.

My latest release is a contemporary romance about a television anchor woman who is about to turn forty. She fears she’s reaching her use-by date and finds herself both threatened and attracted to a new gun foreign correspondent who becomes her offsider.

I’m interested in what you think? Do you like reading about older heroines? What is your favorite book with an older heroine? Leave a comment or connect with Justine on her social media sites.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Connect with Justine

Twitter: @justineromance

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥



The Older Romance Heroine in “The Reluctant Lover” by Justine

The heroine in my new book, “The Reluctant Lover”, is about to turn forty. I started to write this book when I was thirty-nine and six months old. I’m not sure if it occurred to me at the time, but writing this novel in the lead up to the big Four-Zero probably saved me thousands in counselling fees. My heroine, Katherine, is conflicted about her big birthday – she’s a television journalist who has kept her birthdate a secret. But the ratings on her show are declining and while she believes that age shouldn’t matter, she also knows all too well how women in the public eye are judged by the way they look. And to make Katherine’s fortieth even more eventful, I gave her a new, younger colleague to challenge all of her assumptions. I hope you enjoy Katherine and Liam’s story. 

"The Reluctant Lover" Blog Post Link

Links to book retailers,


Justine’s 2 other romance books, 




Justine, thanks for sharing your guest post and I look forward to hearing about your next romance book.
Have a happy weekend everyone. 
Ashlyn



♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
More Posts



Forty-two year old women don’t have adventures.
She’d just be more appealing if she were thinner, taller and younger.
We’ll buy it if you made her 25 and sexier.
Female protagonists should NOT be flawed..
Forty-Two year old women don't have adventures by Linda Stasi




Australian author, D.D. Line joins us today with a guest post about love and growing older, and passion taking on another meaning.
The ability to fall in love can happen at any stage of life. Yes, there’s a different intensity, a different focus of passion and need, but those fluttery moments where you’ve swallowed a thousand tapdancing butterflies, and your speech turns to incoherent babble never fade...
Older Romance Heroines with D.D. Line

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention, Justine! xox Write more older heroines please! The world needs them.

    Not only do I write older romance heroines (all 4 of my books have 40+ H/H), I research older romance heroines and the reason there are so few. My MA and PHD both examined the reasons women over 40 are held back from being romantic leads. Romance publishing, for the most part sees romance as a tale for younger women, which mirrors Hollywood's ageist and stereotyped versions of older women. Things are slowly changing, thanks to Justine and a number of other authors and a handful of publishers who understand there IS an audience for Adult Contemporary or Seasoned, or Older, or Mature romance. Write them, market them as romance and we'll throw money at you.

    Thanks Justine and thanks Ashlyn for having Justine on your blog!

    --Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,

    Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. It's wonderful to hear of another author writing mature romance. In my own writing, I have a story where I thought an older heroine was a natural fit. But I hesitated, because years ago, book publishers were interested in the 20-30 year old characters. I think I'll revisit my unpublished story with fresh insight from you and Justine.

    I'd be delighted if you'd like to write a guest post or article about one of your mature romance stories. My email is ashlynbradyauthor@gmail.com

    kind regards,
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. D.D.thanks for your comment. You made me think of Harry Potter fans and the way the characters grew older along with the fans.

    I think with RWAmerica surveys there are a group of mature age readers that buy romance books. My elderly Mum read a lot of romance over her lifetime. She started with Georgette Heyer, then Mills & Boon in the 1970's & 80's. She reached an age when she stopped reading romance, possibly because she couldn't connect or relate to the stories anymore. I've always felt a bit sad about that, because romance stories lead you to a happy and loving place for a few moments.

    Diversity and stories for all ages and races is an ideal future. The opportunity is ripe for writers to stay true to their character's personalities, voices and ages.

    kind regards
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love reading and writing stories with older heroines. I agree that they are more interesting and complex. And why should the 20-year-olds have all the fun?? My Witting Woman series of novellas feature women in their late forties or fifties each facing a crossroads of some type. My fantasy, Raver, stars a 50-year-old recently divorced woman. I will be looking up Justine Lewis and Sandra Antonelli! Thanks for the great article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Candace, thanks for visiting and commenting about older heroines. We all need some fun in our lives, so why not have books to entertain mature women too. Sexy times can be more satisfying as you grown older and more comfortable with your body. I'd be delighted if you'd like to post a guest blog or an article about one of your mature romance novellas. My email is ashlynbradyauthor@gmail.com

    kind regards,
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a romance fan, I am disturbed by the community's prevalent h/h ages. The point of romance for me is to see love, acceptance and growth between two or more people as they become closer. Whether they then become parents or not is beside the point. The fact that it seems like 99% of female heroes in romance are ready to have babies when they hook up, when that's at most only maybe 30% of most women's adult lives is damaging. It says in effect, you are not worthy of love outside of your fertile years. It also puts crazysauce pressure on women during their fertile years to find "the one" and "put a ring on it" so they presumably have companionship for the remaining 70% of their life. (The fact that perhaps a majority of HEAs in youth are actually HFNs, and that's OK, is rarely addressed.)

    I think younger women need to see role models in their entertainment -- they need to look up and see what their life can be like someday and that all is not totally dependent on their love lives at this moment. I think older women need to see themselves in fiction instead of being shown their younger selves as the only time that love could possibly happen.

    However, I'd also like to address the fact that women's relationship goals often CHANGE as their lives change. Nearly all the women I know who are older do not want to get married again. It's a constant refrain both from happily married and happily uncoupled women alike. They like love, they like companionship, they like sex. But being a live-in wife? Not so much. Most women I know in their 50s on up say the dream relationship is a great guy (or gal) who lives "down the street" permanently.

    So, when you do write romances with older characters, understand that the story arc and resolution may be different. HEAs change.

    ReplyDelete