Friday 1 June 2018

Data Privacy

Photo by arvin febry on Unsplash
Hello Friends,

The new European Union Privacy Laws called the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect on 25 May 2018. I felt compelled to write about data privacy on my blog site and to remind people to check that their privacy settings are right for them.

Regular Blogger
I use a standard Blogger theme template on this site. There’s no fancy designer stuff, and I don’t use any add-ins, plug-ins or what-ever-ins to monitor or analyse visitor usage of my blogspot. This regular, long-form Blogger site has served me well for the last 3 years while I have been writing in the cyber wilderness, and trying to attract a crowd. Thank you to all the people who drop by and read my articles. I have grown into blogging and enjoy the weekly challenge of finding something interesting to write about.

Third Parties
I have no third party advertisements running here like of the ad-sense variety. I do have images of my bookcovers, and a link to Amazon.com. But I am not an affiliate of Amazon and I don’t earn any money other than elusive book sales. I would love to have some amazing amazon book sales! Maybe I need to publish lots of books to improve the $$$…well…2 novellas and a short read are my earnest beginnings.

Google Plus
Each week, on a Friday evening (Australian time), I post my blogger articles to my Google Plus page called Ashlyn Brady (Author). In times past, I did repost my writing to facebook, twitter and pinterest but I found having numerous social media sites active reduced the time I had left to write. And I did lose lots of hours, distracted, curious and scrolling through pages and pages of cyber news and biz.

Youtube
I write blog articles with the view to entertaining readers or to give them some light-hearted moments. Sometimes I try to be funny! The common themes I write about are romance, romance books, movies, history and mysteries. If there is a youtube video that compliments my post, then I like to embed the video in the blog.


Photo by Sindre Aalberg on Unsplash

Google provides me with this Blogger and my Google site free of charge. I wouldn’t be able to continue blogging if I had to pay hosting fees because I don’t earn enough money from my published books. I appreciate the free service offered by Google and I have accepted that Google collects data from my social media sites in exchange for the no-cost hosting.

I urge readers to review their own situation with data privacy, if you haven’t done so already.

Google have updated their privacy policy about what information they collect and why they collect it. They’ve taken steps to improve their privacy checkup and other controls they provide to safeguard data and protect privacy. There are updates on the options to update, manage, export and delete data.



Finally, I would like to assure readers that I don’t personally collect or store data about them.

Thanks for reading,
and have a good weekend,
Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment