Friday 10 April 2015

The Romance Reader

For many years, I’ve been a reader of romance books across several sub genres. 

With the arrival of e-books, their convenience and price, has meant I’m reading more widely now than ever before. 

As a reader, I've had, and continue to have the experience of how the world of romance novels enriches my life.

Recently I've been reading; 

HISTORICAL

Anna Campbell, Her Christmas Earl.
A story about a heroine and hero caught in a compromising situation and the  consequences that follow from such impropriety. Anna is one of my favorite Regency authors with her bold story lines and exuberant use of language.

Tessa Dare, A Night to Surrender- the first book in the Spindle Cove series.
Spindle Cove is the place where ladies who have fallen out of society for various reasons live in retreat. I am enjoying reading about the moves and counter-moves of the heroine and hero in this book so much, I had to put it away, hoard it, because I don’t want the story to end. The British humor in this book makes me giggle and feel light-hearted. 

CONTEMPORARY

Z.R Heller, The Chronicles of Moxie.
Moxie is a saucy kindergarten teacher who knows how to get herself in trouble without raising a sweat. Moxie's chronicles are a fresh and young read with raw humor.

N.M. Siler, The Law of Attraction (Lawyers in Love)
The writing in some of the courtroom scenes is funny. It’s also refreshing how the two clear-minded lawyers know what they want from each other, in places where they shouldn't be trying to get it, like courthouse interview rooms which don’t have locks on the doors. 

PARANORMAL

Nalini Sigh, Secrets at Midnight-Nightshift Anthology.
I bought this book because I needed to know more about shapeshifters.  My youngest daughter was having a one-sided conversation with me about alpha mates, dominants and shape shifting werewolves. Huh? I’d look at her strangely, not having a clue what she was talking about.

She’s been putting up writing on Wattpad since she was ten years old, and speaking the lore of shapeshifters from her story world ever since then.

So I purchased the Night Shift anthology and have learnt, and been entertained by a romance about big cat shapeshifters from best-selling, New Zealand author, Nalini Singh. There is a caring and uplifting hero in her story, "Secrets at Midnight".

I’m moving onto the second story in the anthology now, "Magic Steals" by Ilona Andrews and I hope to share some comments in future blogs.

Signing off from the wonderful world of romance novels.
It’s time to do some writing!
Ashlyn


No comments:

Post a Comment