Friday 22 April 2016

The Writer's Life for Another Week

The human need for story-telling started way back in history with the spoken word.
When our ancestors were sitting around the camp fire talking, while the mammoth roasted over the spit.

Or a tribe of people chatted as they walked along land bridges to find new places to live.

Were we telling stories as we hunted and gathered in the forests?

As we sailed up rivers to discover fertile land for farming and sites to build the earliest cities.

Perhaps people were telling tales about the giant squid that lurked in the briny depths, as they rowed boats across the seven seas to trade wares.

Age-old wisdom suggests that people connect in community through the sharing of stories and life experiences. Social media sites continue the tradition in a techno way.

Last week, I talked about the craziness of a writer’s life and their demanding story characters. This week I’m reflecting on the doubts that plague an aspiring writer. Is my story good enough? Will anyone like it? The lack of confidence to find an agent, a publisher or to self-publish can be paralyzing. I’m kinda sick of my own shadowy self-talk. I’m not trying to write a perfect story, just an engaging one. Who decides if I have succeeded with my ambition? Not editors, agents or publishers. The community of readers are the ones with the opinions that matter the most.


Pull myself together...yep, I’m going to tackle those final edits for my Novella. Pause to remember, there’s one unique thing about me and every other fiction writer—OUR WRITER’S VOICE (Did you see the article I posted this week on G+—‘Serious Writer Voice’ written by Kristine Katherine Rusch).

Stay true to my inner, story-telling voice. Write from the heart and see where the journey takes me. Many successful authors have followed the same uncertain path, and they didn’t give up writing when the going got tough.









I’ll leave you with some clever writing from the pen of Paul Ogden
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
A backward poet writes inverse.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it’ll still be stationery.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 
Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment